Dispose of yard waste to minimize adverse impacts to the environment by keeping waste out of storm drains. Recycle and compost organic materials whenever possible.
- Select native plants that require less water and maintenance.
- Spot treat your weeds to avoid putting toxic chemicals in rivers and streams.
- Sweep and bag leaves and grass clippings or bag the lawn clippings as your mow. Then put out the bags for collection.
- Composting your yard waste is even a better option.
- When blowing walkways or mowing lawns, direct equipment so that the clippings blow back onto the lawn rather than into the street.
- Consider using ladybugs, or physically pulling weeds in place of chemical treatment.